The Bridge Farm run of woven blankets

I was asked by the folk at the Bridge Farm in Dresden Maine to weave blankets from their yarn grown by their very own flock of sheep! Here are some photos describing the process of weaving the yarn on my floor loom.First I want to say that  they had the yarn spun at a fiber mill outside of Maine. It was done by Stonehedge Fiber Mill. They did a lovely job! I have not encountered any problems with the yarn and it is sturdy enough to hold tension on the loom.It weaves beautifully and there has been no dust or pieces of foreign matter showing up( twigs or hay) or knots. 
the threading of the yarn through the heddles before you can weave
Close up of the wool blanket being woven
 I am weaving this in a straight twill threading and treading it the same way. I have doubled the yarn in my shuttle to add body and less stiffness to the blanket.

Picture above and below shows the shed opening and the shuttle being thrown in between the yarns.

Then it will probably take a week to dry before I cut it and sew it into blankets.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Old Time Bobbin winder

Scarf for pilots enthusiasts Hangar207