Meditation Weaving

Weaving is a daily activity here at our workshop / home. It all began when my husband was away 4 months at a time fishing in Alaska. We lived in the Seattle area and weaving back in the 1970’s was resurgeing in popularity . I think Handwoven magazine got its start back then .
So now Handwoven magazine has come out with an article called Weaving as meditation. I have to say “Yes” that’s it ! It is something I feel compelled to do every day . Now I can point to this article which explains how I feel while weaving .
I also think that in this lies some connections to our past . Weavers back in time during all sorts of hardships and struggles found peace in the reassurance of a pattern that they could count on when life was in turmoil. I think of women here living in Maine who’s husbands went to sea for years . Many houses here have a “Widows Walk “ on top of their homes that was used to watch for their return .
I know that same feeling . My husband took me up to Alaska for a “season” of catching King Crab .
I sat in the village of Unalaska watching the mouth of the harbor , waiting to see his boats return from the Bering Sea .
Fortunately, he made sure I had my loom ,spinning wheel and yarn with me . It kept me company those long dark days . I remember making towels and table runners . Our fourteen month old son taking his nap .They were short periods but useful hours I spent working out treadling  and patterns .
Today , as a grandma , I work everyday at weaving .Still exploring patterns and yarn combinations.
My husband no longer goes away to fish but found an Anvil while in Alaska . He always want to work in metal and now has a successful business making items out of metal .
If you are interested in learning more about the way weaving works as meditation, read this article in Handwoven magazine https://handwovenmagazine.com/woven-flow-weaving-as-meditation/?__s=8rzbebaiin5icv2y8p3i&utm_source=drip&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Weaving+As+Meditation&utm_content=HW+04.09.20+Newsletter
Also if you want to see Andy my husbands work go to www.scottishwroughtiron.com
My work is www.mainevillageweaver.com
Thanks and Be Well


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Old Time Bobbin winder

Scarf for pilots enthusiasts Hangar207